Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Idaho & Sewing

The two don't really have anything to do with each other.... except for the fact that we just got back from Idaho and I've been doing some sewing.

The kids and I took off on the 2nd and headed to Idaho for a quick visit.
My parents (along with a business partner) bought a hotel and are converting to student housing.  I had to go to draw up the plans.  We weren't originally going to go, but the more my Dad got into things there the more apparent it became that in order to draw it well I needed to be there and see it.  
So we packed up and took off.
We had a lovely visit.  I always enjoy going back to Rexburg.   It was great seeing TJ, Steph and the kids again, although I didn't get to visit with them as much as I would have liked.  I was on a deadline and drawing with the kids around was a little difficult... so I was a little stressed, but things got done.  It was fun staying in the "hotel", although of all the rooms only 10 had water, and of those 10 only 3 had beds, and two had air conditioners.  They bought the hotel at auction and the previous owners didn't seem to respect property much.
The evenings were very nice.  We would roll a few chairs out onto the "porch" prop our feet up on the handrail and watch the cars as they passed by.  The temperatures had cooled down from the heat of the day, and there were NO mosquito's eating us alive.

Since we got back I've made Maria a dress and a couple pairs of pants.
Here is the dress and Maria striking a pose where you can actually see the dress.

I think she just went thru a growth spurt, her pants are all getting too small and her toes are making holes in her jammies.  I made her a pair of leggings (because I just happened to have the fabric) and a pair of khakis.....

BUT, she's got a big bit of a bum and I didn't give the pants enough rise in the rear, so when she plays it's not exactly a pretty sight..... so we'll send these off to a cousin who will hopefully fit these a little better.

3 comments:

claireb said...

I don't think it very fair of you to hog all those artistic genes: photography, drawing, sewing, craftiness, gardening, and the list goes on. You, dearest Meredith, are one awesome woman. And seriously, Maria is the cutest little girl... ever.

LinnieBell said...

buying a hotel and converting it sounds awesome and quite the adventure! which hotel is (was) it? my sister just started school this week in good ol' rexburg. need to visit her :)

Nana & Grandpa Toyk said...

Those pants fit great, except for the rise...I think you should try again. I'm looking forward to getting together with you and learning how to sew pants. I want to sew some with the zipper on the side...?? In the meantime, I'll quilt. I don't have to worry about getting the size to fit! I hope you've started on my crocheted poncho for Christmas!!