Thursday, March 11, 2010

I try to be self sufficient. I like to be able to take care of myself... a few days ago that just wasn't happening. I wanted to do something and no matter what I did, or how hard I tried it just wasn't going to happen. I was so angry.

So I decided to learn how to crochet a hat. I started over about a dozen times, but I cranked this out for baby x:

Photobucket

Now, this I've been working on for quite a while, and just finished binding it last night. Its a two sided quilt for baby x (he'll have a name one of these days.... we just haven't discovered it yet.)

Here is the front...

Photobucket

and the back...

Photobucket

now, I put an "M" on the back for Munoz. I didn't want to wait any longer to get the quilt done, and I really have no idea when we will have a name for him.

I'm pretty proud of this quilt. It was my first time machine quilting and I learned a lot. I think I did a pretty good job, although it is FAR from perfect. I learned a lot about my mom's machine, different foots, tension, and the whole machine quilting process. Although I like the idea of a two sided quilt, if I decide to machine quilt in the future, I will stick to a one-sided one... it'll make the whole process easier. There were a lot of changes in number of materials that I was quilting through and I had to keep adjusting the tension to keep a smooth line.


My list of projects to do is getting smaller and smaller.
My parents dropped of the king size quilt at the quilt lady's place in Rexburg while they are visiting this week and the estimated time frame to get that back is 2 months. So when that's back I'll hurry and bind it..... wait a minute. I'll have a newborn then so I might NOT hurry and bind it..... man. well that will get done hopefully within the next year and I'll post pictures of that, which I'm so excited about.
I'm also almost done re-finishing/building the chair. Now, the chair was this HIDEOUS thing that was sitting in our garage for a while... i think my mom had aspirations to re-finish it... One day my parents were cleaning out the garage and I saw that the chair was in the trailer to go to the dump. (this was shortly after we found out that we were prego again) and I pulled it out intending to turn it into a rocking chair. Marco took it apart... it was pretty gross, and old. I think that they had used horse hair or something similar as padding. ick. it makes me cringe... Marco stripped it down to the wood frame and it sat that way for a few months. So, over the past month and a half I've been plugging away at it and hopefully it will be done in the next week or so. Again... by no means a professional job, but pretty good. I'm not one to strive for perfection... it's too stressful.


... and because it's hard for me to post a blog and not include a picture of Maria.... the other morning she came into bed with me and fell back asleep for a couple of hours... I think she just wanted some hugs.

Photobucket

7 comments:

Laura said...

Oh my goodness, what an angel is that Maria. And secondly, you have serious skillz with quilts! I am jealous. Maybe I will hire you to make quilts for my babies? Cuz heaven knows they ain't gettin nothin creative-like from this lady. haha. Love you.

Nana & Grandpa Toyk said...

you get soooo much done when I'm not at home!!! WOW. I love your quilt. You'll have to design one for Kayla with the material I'm bringing home....while you have a baby and Maria and take care of everything...what's it like to be sooo capable...you're fantastic.

Nana & Grandpa Toyk said...

and ps...give Maria a kiss for me.

Drees009 said...

That quilt sure looks like a pattern from Camille Olaveson/Roskelley of the architecture program.... I LOVE it!!

Rach said...

that quilt rocks, i LOVE the back,the curvy part is so cool! did you design it?

cant wait to see you guys!

Meredith said...

For the quilt check out Camille Roskelley over at Simplify. There is a link to her blog on the left side. She's got an Etsy store, but I know if you live in Rexburg/Idaho Falls area you can pick them up at stores... She is super duper talented. We were in the Architecture program at BYI-Idaho together.

Anonymous said...

I need to take some lessons in time management from you. I love the quilt, and Maria is so darling. I hope you guys ae doing good, I actually think about ya'll a lot. :)