Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Baby x

here i am, sitting in a hospital bed. marco cooper tobias munoz (formerly known as baby "x" or "Quak" to my parents) made his entrance into the world in the wee hours of the morning, 1:06 am. He weighed in at a whopping 7lbs 9 oz, and is 21 inches long. He is super content just hanging out.

Birth Story

Around 9:30 last night I mentioned to Marco that I was having a little discomfort. It could just be cramps or it could be contractions. He said that I should go tell my mom just in case we had to leave in the middle of the night so that they could watch Maria. I really didn't think it was anything, but I went anyway. I hung out with my parents for about twenty minutes and had three pretty regular "discomforts". So I went downstairs and finished packing my bag..... just in case. I played a couple of rounds of spider solitaire while monitoring my discomfort level, and around 10:30 decided that these were most likely contractions.... ok havin' a baby tonight... or tomorrow.


11:00 - I called the on-call doctor and we determined that contractions 4 1/2 minutes apart lasting for about a minute sounded like I was in labor, so Marco and I loaded up the car and headed to the hospital. They knew who I was when we got there.... although it's been 19 months since I was there. And the nurse was a little worried. She had read my history with Maria knew that things could go fast.


11:30 - At this point I'm doing great... pain level during contractions is about a 5. I can still talk, and I'm smiling so the people at the front desk don't think that I'm really in labor. The Nurse has me go and pee in a cup and change into one of their gowns and then checks me.... I'm dialated too a 6 and 100% effaced. She left the pee in the bathroom and hauled me off to a room to get admitted.


I opted not to get an epidural, because with Maria that didn't work out so well (they were administering the drug as Maria was being born). So we just hung out, chatted it up a bit, went thru contractions, had a shot of some drug, and had some more contractions.


1:00 I'm pretty much in pain and want this over with... so the doctor comes in, checks me and tells me that he can break my water and it will probably be over in 5 minutes.


1:01 doctor breaks my water.... ugh that's painful! Contractions.... screaming.... etc.


1:06 baby is born.

9 comments:

Tif said...

YAY!!!! I am so so so excited for you! You're so lucky to be part of the "short labor" club with me :P

Nana & Grandpa Toyk said...

I wish I could say that you inherited the short labor thingie from me but noooo...I had to do it the had way. I'm glad that Cooper, formerly know as baby Kwak, which is the correct spelling! (I don't think Olympic Speed Skaters like to have their names spelled wrong...) is here and doing so well. I'm teaching Maria to say Cooper (Kwak is easier but she's catching on to Cooper quickly) I'm being summonds for the 3rd diaper change today. Love you, enjoy your stay in the hospital...

Lydia said...

Congratulations!!!

Laura said...

FELICIDADES to you and Marco and Maria and baby Marcito! Can I call him that? I can't believe you had your bebe so fast. Wow girl. You know how to get it done. :) Was it a crazy amount of pain without the epidural? I am coming up to WA the last weekend of April... hope you're still there and that I get to meet your little dude. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! What an awesome birth story. I hope you and Marco and Maria and Marco Cooper are all doing well.

Erika and Jason said...

He is so cute! Congrats you are such a good mom! I hope your recovery goes well and quick.

The Tulett Family said...

Congratulations! He is so cute.

Marianne said...

Congrats!! He is so adorable and I'm sure Maria will LOVE having a little baby brother! I'm happy everyone is healthy, present, and happy!

claireb said...

Congratulations on number two Meredith! I love your 1:01 time stamp of "contractions, screaming, etc." At least the screaming was very short lived, even if you couldn't get the epidural.