Friday, July 1, 2011

Apple Shirt

I saw this little shirt on Made By Rae the other day and thought it was super cute. 
She was part of No Big Dill's Once Upon a Thread series.  Clothes inspired by children's stories.

The little flutter sleeves, the pockets, the high empire waist.  I decided that I would take what Abuela has taught me about sewing without a pattern and see what I could come up with.

While I was in Oregon visiting some AMAZING friends we hit up a really good fabric sale.  I got this cute apple print and a bunch of this striped material.

So, here is what I came up with.  It's a little different than the original..... I forgot to add pockets.  But overall I like how it turned out.

Cute little flutter sleeves, high empire waist.   I added bias tape at the neckline, back, and sleeves, and bands of vertical stripes at the waist and hem.

I did a one button closure.  My original plan was to only have the back slit come down to the waist band, but when we did a trial run of putting the shirt on, it was a little tight and I didn't want this to be a cute shirt that she never wore because it was so hard to put on.  So I cut it down an extra couple of inches.
For the hem I used a bias-tape like finish.... so the stripe part is actually double the length shown...
...so if she ever goes thru a growth spurt, I can lengthen it easily.


*note*
-She wanted to go outside and water the plants with the water guns.... she didn't exactly stay still for me to take pictures, but it was better than if she was running away from me the whole time.
-I know my my nail polish is horrible (Mom).... but I cut my finger (and nail) pretty bad last week, and I'm scared to take the nail polish off right now.

7 comments:

Nana & Grandpa Toyk said...

I wish I could say that I taught you how to sew but...nope, you did that yourself! Way to sew without a pattern! Looks fantastic!

Ms. Elenbaas said...

Ummm, can I just say that you are AMAZING! There are no words. Your shirt is better than the one posted!!
You should really get into clothes making. I would buy them for sure! Loves. Angela

Ms. Elenbaas said...

Oh and to your mom- I'm almost positive that all those quilting classes had some part in her interest in sewing. (wink wink)

claireb said...

Every time I read your blog you always manage to come up with ways to impress me more and more. You were definitely blessed with the amazing talent gene.

Rach said...

for some reason this never popped up in my reader. This is too adorable. Like, you could easily sell this! Plus, your model is adorable:)

Meredith said...

Thanks for all the love everyone.... I'm blushing!!

Melissa said...

Agreed, that shirt is adorable. Makes me want to have a little girl (well, almost, it is still too soon for me to think about that again).