Sunday, July 10, 2011

Gas & Electricity

This morning as I was making tortillas the gas on our stove ran out.  We have a tank, like one used on a grill, but a little bit bigger.  This time around it lasted us two months.   Abuela finished cooking our tortillas on her wood stove, so all was not lost.   We will get a new tank tomorrow.  

Just after lunch today the power went out..... and stayed out until 8:30 this evening.  So with no gas, and no power, cooking in my house is impossible.  Thank goodness for Abuela and her wood stove.  Saved the day and kept my kids fed..........

My inability to cook today brought back many memories of when we didn't have a stove (or a fridge) here.  I used to cook on a griddle... you know, the one you occasionally bust out to cook pancakes or bacon.  I cooked everything on it, or at least I tried to.  
I learned that you can cook a plethora of things on a griddle.... it's not just for breakfast food, although I think it is best suited for breakfast food. 
You can cook chicken, and rice.  Pork chops, saute veggies, spaghetti, beans (although this takes FOREVER).  You can make toast, cook eggs and hash browns, soup & oatmeal.
You can NOT pop popcorn.  It just does not get hot enough.  
Corn tortillas do not turn out that great, they get kind of dry.
You can NOT boil water..... again not enough heat.
It says that it can get up to 400 degrees, and maybe that's true, but a lot of times it didn't seems so. 

I am super grateful for our little "plancha" (griddle) and those months that I cooked on it....
BUT, it makes me even more grateful for our stove.

1 comment:

The Chad said...

Hi mers. Miss and love you. Keep keeping up the blog, I love reading it. Miss you a ton and think of you often. I got a job as an accountimg analyst for walmart. I stsrt this next monday. We just found a nice old house about 4 blocks from the center of town. Very much like our first house, just worse use of space. I am excited to start work yet dreading having to be away fro my girls. Love you all.

Chad