Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Our Internet & Other Updates

This is our internet.
It is a little USB thing with a phone chip inside.  It works like the cell phones here.  Your pre-pay by buying recharges or phone cards.  Each month we have to buy 500 Lempiras worth of phone cards, take the chip out of the USB and insert it into a phone, upload the phone cards, send a text message saying that we want to recharge our internet, and then insert the chip back into the USB.  It is a hassle, especially because we can not buy the phone cards here in Lepaera.  We've looked.... they don't sell the big ones here.  We even tried to see if they had 50-10 Lempira phone cards,  but no, we could only find 17......... arg.  

So.... Most of the time, after the internet has gone out it takes a few days for us to get it back.

I sent some packages to myself so that I wouldn't have to pay the extra baggage fees which were super high.  They FINALLY arrived.  The company that we shipped with say on the website that it will take betweeen 10 and 12 days to get the packages... but that is the ship time.... as in time on a ship.  once it leaves the docks in the US, to the time that it arrives at the docks in Honduras.  Apparently they don't want to come and deliver our two packages if they don't have anything else coming our way.... kudos to them on saving gas, but I WANT MY PACKAGES!!  They were sitting in their warehouse in La Ceiba for 2 1/2 weeks before they finally made it into the truck to be delivered.

This is Oso (the dog) hanging out inside the horno (oven).  We used to keep the laundry soap in there, but he's been getting inside and knocking things out so we've had to find different locations to store soap.  I guess the oven bricks & mud keep it cooler inside.
This is a fruit called nahn-say.  I have no idea how it's spelled, but that's how you pronounce it.  The flavor is ok, but I just can't get over the texture.  It has a different texture to it.
Yesterday a big tractor came by and smoothed out the roads.  The rain had made them pretty bumpy.  So for entertainment we hung out watching the tractor go up and down the road.  
(It proceeded to rain REALLY hard last night and the same old valley's re-appeared in the road.)
This morning one of Marco's friends came by on his motorcycle.  The kids played on that thing for half an hour and did NOT want to get off.
I have wanted to make Maria a shirt with doily sleeves for quite a while.  The package that I sent to myself had the white material so after bedtime one night I made up this little shirt for her.


Abuela and I made this dress together.  We bought the material at Corti-Telas, a store in Tegucigalpa, when we were visiting back in January.  Its really soft. 
There are a few layers of black tulle and a black cotton underlining under the skirt part.  The neck is high in front with a v-neck in back and exposed zipper.  Maria loves it.... it's a circle skirt so she's loving spinning!

4 comments:

Tif said...

Yay for your packages! Did you ship the sewing machine or did you pack it in your suitcases-it was probably pretty heavy!

I LOVE that doily-sleeved shirt you made!

Meredith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meredith said...

I put the sewing machine in my carry on. I didn't want anything to happen to that puppy.

Ms. Elenbaas said...

Will you please make my clothes from now on?? I looooove them!!