Monday, May 5, 2008

milk & gas

so... my parents are in Hawaii right now! Yay for them that they can do that, but I'm just a little jealous.... another overcast day for me in Washington. Anyway, i was talking with my mom on the phone last night about their trip so far and one of the highlight's (or lowlight's) she was telling me about was a trip to the grocery store. They went and got the usual things... Milk, bread... well really, that's all that she mentioned because bread was over $6.00 a loaf!!! i was dumbfounded! but then she said that they were checking out and the clerk scanned their milk and asked if they were having a party or something. They looked at him strangley and said no... why? and he said cause you just spent $9 on that milk!! (milk cost $8.79 per gallon!!!) he said that he hadn't bought milk in 3 months! seriously! we think that it's probably due to the high gas prices, the cost of shipping things there is so expensive! anyway so my encouragement for this morning is to buy locally, and stock up on that food storage!

4 comments:

Heather O said...

That is crazy and I am frustrated when the milk here is on sale for $3 a gallon. I better count my blessings!

Tif said...

Maybe your parents should have bought a cow over there...would have almost been cheaper!

How's ya feeling? Having a happier time being pregnant yet? I'm jealous. I don't know that I'll ever get to do it again...

Jen, Leo, Nathan & Benny said...

I have been reading your blog too. Congrats on the baby GIRL! DO you have names yet? I still can't beleive it - especially since you are gone from NC :(

Stay in touch and keep that blog up!

Dan and Amanda said...

I told the lady checking me out at Wal-mart this stoy and she said,"Well, isn't Hawaii part of the U.S.". I laughed -- but, that is crazy.

Dan was born in Hawaii and milk has always been pricey. Back in the later 80's it was aparently $4 dollars a gallon.