Wednesday, June 2, 2010

crafty inspiration

In May we made a trip down to Oregon to visit my dear ol' bro and his family. They live it this adorable little house that has such great character. It totally matches their little family.

One reason I love visiting them is I always get struck with inspiration while there. Rachel is really crafty and she has this style that I'll never be cool enough to have.

She had this jewelry holder that I was totally jealous of....

Photobucket

I actually took a picture of it cause I wanted to see what I could do to replicate it...

So today my mom and I, with kids in tow, headed over to a local fabric shop and I saw some material that I kind of fell in love with. So this afternoon I got out an old picture frame and whipped this out...

Photobucket

Now, there isn't any jewelry on it yet.... it seems as if I've lost one pair of every earring I own. So that just means I'll have to start collecting all over again, now that I have a place to put it.

It was pretty simple to make.

I used the cardboard back that came with the picture frame as my mounting board. I cut a piece of batting, and a piece of material slightly larger than the cardboard and stapled them to the cardboard.

Then I cut ribbon, stapled that.

Then I wanted to add a place for stud earrings to go so I got that counted cross-stitch hoop and (with my mom's permission) used part of her wedding veil (which she is in the process of retro-fitting for my sister) to make a place for those to go and "secured" it with some upholstery nails (which didn't really work so well, so I added a bunch of hot glue).

I love it and I can't wait to get some jewelry up on there!!

No comments: