Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Woot Woot! I'm American!!

After over a year of paperwork, preparation, and waiting.... I finally became an American yesterday. I went down to Seattle last Monday, had the interview and passed!! and got an invite to go down again for the Naturalization Ceremony. So yesterday Mom took off the afternoon and drove me down to Seattle and I did it! I now have my nifty little certificate and no resident alien card, and am going to have to get a passport and register to vote, and all that fun stuff. Here are a few pictures of the day... I felt like being dorky and posing for pics.so here i am being all dorky with my American flag (which BTW still has the sticker on it, and yes it WAS made in the U.S.A.)
so here is my mommy dearest.... self-taken photo, proof that she was there to witness this occasion.... finally after 26 years of being a Permanent Resident I take the plunge!here we all are swearing our allegiance.... and that we'll if needed bear arms for the country...


it kind of had this graduation feel to it... walking across the stage getting your certificate. it was interesting, they announced the countries that people were from, and there were a couple from the USSR (which hasn't been in existence since 1991)!! so i thought that was pretty cool!
aw... then there I am with my certificate.... and a goofy stranger in the background.

and then here are a couple of signs that we saw at the rest stop on the way back that made me crack up.....

8 comments:

claireb said...

wait... you weren't full a full blooded American before? Where were you born then? Shows how much I know you. :) Congrats.

Courtney said...

Congratulations! I didn't know you were taking the plunge! What country was the most popular? Was it your former Motherland?

Lydia said...

Congrats on not being Canadian anymore! :p Love all the "goofy" pictures.

Meredith said...

I was previously Canadian.... born there, but never lived there. I'm not sure on the most popular country was.... but there were a lot of asian folk, and a lot of northern europeans.

Clayton and Camea said...

Congratulations! My sister in law just became a citizen too ( She's armenian)

Heather O said...

Woohoo!!! You are legal! (not that you were illegal before . . .) ;)

kelley said...

LOL! I don't know why that made me laugh so hard... but it did! Especially seeing you waving the little American Flagg (I pronounced "flag" like a Canadian right there in case you couldn't tell). Congrats! Welcome to America!!

Donna Chapin said...

Congratulation Meredith!

Some signs are so silly, you have to laugh.