Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving

Today is Thanksgiving.
This is probably my most favorite holiday, and not just because of all of the delicious food.  
Thanksgiving weekend has always been a full weekend.  It is the beginning of the "holiday season".  Our family feasts, makes chocolates, decorates for Christmas, and occasionally participate in Black Friday.

This season is different.  Not only am I thousands of miles from where I would normally celebrate....
but I'm also in a place that doesn't celebrate this holiday,
without an oven to cook a turkey in,
without a fridge to store the leftovers, 
without a store that has supplies to make chocolates,
without the existence of Black Friday,
without any decorations to adorn our humble abode....

BUT...
I am with my wonderful husband and amazing children....
we have a roof over our head...
we have warm places to sleep at night...
we have enough food to keep our bellies full....
we have clean water to drink....
we have warm showers...
we have sunny warm weather...
we have electricity....

Even though we have so much less than we used to have, we still have so much....
and for everything (things we have and things we don't), I am thankful.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Thank you for this post, Meredith. I can really feel your thankful heart. You have what is important.
Would it be wrong of me to moazy on over to your parents for some of those delicious chocolates? I remember them being really, really, yummy!

pinelodgelabradoodles said...

You really help put life into perspective Meredith. Thank you. I love that you are sharing your adventure with all of us through your blog.
Heidi

Rach said...

Keep up the good work! we think about you guys all the time and we pray for you every night.

miss you!

rach