Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Language

Before coming to Honduras I was talking with my parents about the language and how long it would take for me to adjust and become fluent
I think we pretty much agreed that it would take about 3 months.
It has now been 3 1/2 months.

In High School I took 4 years of Spanish, followed by more semesters in college and I ended up getting an associates in Spanish.  After university I didn't have a whole lot practice keeping up with the language until I met Marco.  He and I speak mostly Spanish to each other, but it is more of spanglish than true Spanish, a spanglish that we're accustomed to. 
When Marco would talk on the phone to friends or family in Spanish I had NO idea what he was saying.  I could pick up an occasional word here and there, but it was not the Spanish that I had learned in school.  A million miles a minute, slang thrown in there, words slurred together.

When I first got here I was pretty lost.  I constantly had to ask people to repeat themselves, or to slow down, or to use different words (ones that I knew). Some did, while others said the same thing, at the same speed, and I just smiled and nodded, clueless as to what they were repeating over and over again. 

One time some kids were talking to me and I said something back to them, one of the kids said to me that no one understood what I said.  I told him, and I think he understood, that I rarely understood anything that they ever said.too.

Fast forward 3 months... how are things going??

I hate Spanish.
Actually let me rephrase that.... Spanish makes me frustrated & depressed.  And I hate those feelings.  Ok.... maybe it's not THAT bad.  I definitely don't feel that way all the time, and I am learning lots of new words like "carne molida de res" which means ground beef.  Most of my new vocabulary involves going to the grocery store, or has to do with my kids... "gatear" means to crawl, which Cooper is all over.
When Marco talks to friends or family now I understand almost all of the words...
It's just making those words into sentences that is difficult.
When we were at Karla's in Tegucigalpa I would turn the TV to the news channel and read the ticker tape.  My goal was to read the words and form the sentences before they were gone from the screen.
The ticker tape repeated itself so I had multiple opportunities to figure out what was being said, so eventually I ended up understanding.

One of the most frustrating things for me is when the family is all gathered together and they are laughing and having a good time and I am completely lost, sitting there smiling like an idiot.  That's hard.  They are having such a good time and I wish that I could be a part of that, instead all I want to do is go and hide because my head hurts from trying to put all the words together into sentences.

Things aren't all bad.  Things are improving, and most of the people that I have met now know to slow things down for me, and if I look completely confused they'll try to explain in different words.

(In my high school Spanish class if we did not know the word we would have to use different words do describe our way around the word we did not know.... ie Birthday Cake - a sweet desert that you eat to celebrate the day that you were born.)

Maria & Spanish
Maria is a pretty amazing little girl.  Ahh... so wonderful and precious and adorable and smart etc, etc, etc.
I think she understands quite a bit of Spanish, I think she still knows more English, but her Spanish is definitely progressing.
Here are some words that she uses regularly:
salud = bless you (after someone sneezes)
venga = come on
vaya = get out of here
mira = look
bomba = balloon
Abuela/ Abuelo = Grandma/ Grandpa
zapato = shoe
nino = boy
agua = water
gracias = thank you
luz = light
oscuro = dark

Isn't she so super cool!!
I think so.
Here are some pics of her from a couple weeks ago...  She didn't have any bottoms on so that's why these are all of her tops.







8 comments:

Tif said...

It'll come, Meres, it'll come.

You know, in English you tend to talk your way around some words, too. Like I could totally see you saying "And then, after dinner we had a sweet dessert that you eat to celebrate the day you're born. With candles, too." I could totally see you saying that!

Maria is gorgeous. Her curls just keep getting more and more amazing! And her eyes. Ahhhh! She's going to keep her father on his toes batting away the boys!

Meredith said...

Oh Tif, you're GREAT!! Yes, the language will come, but it's going to take a lot longer than I had planned, but that's ok.

You know me so well, I probably would say many things along those lines.

Maria is quite a sensational person. I'm so stoked to be her mom.

JoeKatie said...

My Spanish skills consist of Dora the Explorer. I am sure you are doing great!

Laurita said...

Ahhh, Meres, so been there with the Spanish. In fact I felt that way again when I went back in July. It is tough. I think it took me a good 6 months before I felt comfortable, and that was only "a la fuerza" because I had to be the senior companion and HAD to know what people were saying... but I pretty much had a constant headache at the end of the day every day from trying so hard to understand what people were saying. I had no problem with the gringos, but holy cow, some of those catrachos talk fast. What I'm saying is, you're normal, and Tif's right--it'll come. Sometimes we lady types like to demand a lot of ourselves... but nobody expects you to be fluent so quickly. Don't worry. One day you'll suddenly realize you understand folks and it will be awesome. In the meantime, I recommend El Libro de Mormon for all your gift of tongues needs, and giving yourself permission to progress. It'll take time and that's okay.

Also, Maria is beautiful. Seriously. She could be on the cover of so many adorable kid magazines.

Lastly, we should chat, you know? Call me sometime my friend. I miss you.

Laura

Meredith said...

Katie- Dora's got mad skills. I bet you know how to say lots of totally useful things!!

Laura- You give me hope, one day I WILL be able to understand every.single.word. of what people say to me!!

claireb said...

Thanks for being so open in how you're dealing with the language! It made me laugh, actually, reading about your family dinners while you just want to hide as your head pounds... because I've been there - a few times. And in each situation I've felt exactly the same way. But before you know it, you'll be laughing and joking right along with them. 3.5 months is such a short amount of time, and if you've noticed such changes in your understanding in the weeks you've been there so far, you'll definitely be Honduras fluent by the time you leave.

AND... Maria is one of the most beutiful little girls I've seen. Ever.

Marianne said...

I can't believe the curls on Maria!!! She is so beautiful and her hair is so LONG! My little girl's hair is just beginning to be long enough to put in little tiny pigtails! I love reading your blog about Hondurus! It sounds like an amazing adventure and experience for you and your family!

Justine said...

Meredith it seems like so long that I have seen Maria! Her curls are getting so long! Sometimes I can not believe that they are natural! I love you and hope that your doing ok

Bean