Saturday, April 2, 2011

Curry Soup

My sister-in-law Rachel posted a recipe a while back for Curry Soup.

I've always been a little afraid of curry.... but I had seen both curry & coconut milk in the "grocery store", and with our limited ingredients here I decided to give it a go.

Her recipe called for:
potato
onion
carrot
apple
sweet potato
stock or bullion
salt & pepper
curry
coconut milk
optional: chicken or tofu

We don't have sweet potatoes here.... and the apples don't look that great...

So my modified version has
yucca
potato
pataste
onion
carrot
bullion
salt & pepper
curry
coconut milk


and I have to admit.... I'm in love.  SO YUMMY!!!  The coconut milk adds SO much flavor & dimension.

For the kids...
they don't eat chunky veggie soup well, so I threw theirs in the blender and they gobbled it up.

I also made some breadsticks tonight.
Bread recipe's are pretty much all the same...
water or milk, yeast, sugar, salt, flour, & maybe butter or oil...
I've found that my breadsticks turn out the BEST if I make the dough a day in advance, throw it into a big plastic baggie, and into the fridge overnight.  The bread turns out lighter and chewier.  Mmmm...

2 comments:

Ms. Elenbaas said...

If your not crazy about curry and your in love, I think it's a sign that you've just been gone too long (lol)

One question: before you left did you have to get a Hep A vaccine? And also, have you been sick since you have been there?

Meredith said...

Ang- We didn't have to get any extra vaccine's before we left. The kids were up to date on their regular vaccines and Marco and I had both recently had a DTap (I think) shot... the one for tetanus. The only extra shot that they recommended was the flu shot becuase the flu is year round down here.

I have been sick once... I think I ate something bad. Went to the doctor, he gave me a few pills and two days later I was feeling much better.

And you asked about beans.... There are a few different types of beans here.... I like black beans the best, but I've also had a bean that is a brownish color. I really don't know that much about beans.