Monday, June 20, 2011

The Stroller Hammock

The first time we came down here we brought a double stroller.  One that had the normal-smallish wheels.  It couldn't handle the roads here.  The kids wanted to go for walks, but the road is more rock than dirt and that stroller was definitely NOT made for off-roading. 
While I was in Washington visiting my parents we had plenty of opportunities to take the kids for walks in the stroller (their gravel driveway is SO incredibly smooth compared to the roads here) and they LOVED it.  I wanted to bring a stroller back down with me, but buying a double jogging stroller was out of the budget.... even a used one.  One night.... for one of Cooper's early, early morning wake-ups.... as I was rocking him back to sleep (this is apparently a great inspiration time for me) I thought about those Phil &Ted Strollers and though that I could make a Stroller Hammock and convert my old single jogger into a double.

Now a few things to take into consideration if anyone wants to try something like this.....
-There are no wheel guards.  I don't know if they are even available.  So being careful and watching my kids fingers are a must.  I wouldn't ever go jogging with this set-up, wheels turning fast makes me too nervous.  My kids are pretty good at listening and after the first 5 or so times of telling them not to touch the wheels they stop... hahahaha.
-There is a weight issue.  If I were to put Maria in the back I would definitely have to wait until Cooper was in the front to put her in so that the stroller wouldn't tip backwards.  Even if Cooper is going in the back I would still but the front child in first.

A couple of changes that I would make...
-Optional longer head rest straps so that the hammock could recline more.
-A little extra padding behind the knees, and velcro so that it can attach to the basket and not move around so much.
-And possibly some kind of a buckle to strap them in.... possibly.

So, with all that said here are some pictures.


7 comments:

Tif said...

You.are.awesome. Seriously! That looks so great. I love how this life experience is allowing you to tap into both your inner creativity and use your architecture skills in the form of designing!

C. said...

That is SO cool!

Me and My Boys said...

That is Incredible!!! You're amazing, seriously who wants to spend $700 for a phil and ted, Seriously Your Awesome!

Karen said...

You are a genius, Meredith! Seriously. Very clever.

Karen said...

You are a genious, Meredith. Seriously. Very clever!

Alyssa Wells said...

Hi Meredith :)
I know this is a really old post, but I am still hoping for a reply! This stroller hammock is amazing! So smart. Do you have these for sale or a pattern available for me to make on myself? This is the perfect solution to our recent double stroller dilemma.
Thank you!
Alyssa

Meredith said...

Hi Alyssa Wells-
I do not have these for sale or a pattern. If I remember correctly I made a long rectangle for the seat/back, and then two triangles for the sides. Then long straps with clicks on each end. This worked out really great, except for the fact that the stroller became a little back heavy and if I didn't hold on to it the it would fall backwards. I'm not sure if that issue would be easy to fix or not.
-Meredith