Saturday, June 18, 2011

Welcome to the Rainy Season -OR- Sometimes a Rain Coat Just Doesn't Cut It

Today we had another thunderstorm.
It rained...
 And rained....
And rained....

Sometimes when it rains like this the water comes into our little front patio area.

We use a broom to sweep the water out.

I went to go get my camera to take a picture of the water flooding down the road and as I was walking towards the open front door I saw this guy riding his horse down the road.

I'm assuming that it was a man (I have yet to see a woman riding a horse), but I don't know that it was a man because the tarp was hiding pretty much everything.  There was just a slit in front for him to peek thru.
Here there are two seasons.  The dry season which is September-ish thru April-ish and then the wet or rainy season which is the other months.  Its a little different than the four seasons that I'm used to.  Planting a garden is definitely different here.... you definitely don't have to worry about the last frost.  I'm pretty sure you can plant things year-round.... but I'm still learning.


So, back to the rain.... the power went out during the thunderstorm and due to the lack of windows in the house Cooper and I hung out on the front patio and watched Marco clean the road (Maria was napping).  The road has changed so much from all the rain.  The "rivers" have formed little valleys all over the road, apparently when it gets bad enough they'll fix it, but who is to say what bad enough is. 
And because the power was out I did dishes, cooked, and we ate by candlelight.
And then there is Lionel (pronounced lee-oh-nell) who is Orfito's cousin.
He was taking a shower in the rain water that was running off the houses.  He said that the water off of our house was warmer than his house.


No comments: