Saturday, July 18, 2009

My long lost friend....

I was once told that raspberries grown in the Northwest are some of the biggest, juciest, tastiest berries ever. Now, I haven't had raspberries from all over the world, but these are definitely some of the tastiest berries I've ever had... and I've had quite a few in my life.

Yesterday we ventured over to a local farm and picked up these beauties:

Photobucket

They were pretty delicious. We wanted to make jam, it's been YEARS since we've made jam, and the stuff that we had canned before was looking pretty icky.

So we busted out the old canning jars:

Photobucket

and Nanna got them all prepped for us to make the jam:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Then with instruction and a little help I made jam, and it was so much easier than I thought it would be. Mash berries, boil berries with lemon juice & some Pectin, add sugar boil again, pour in jars. And you can't forget to eat a few along the way. I didn't get pictures of all the steps, I didn't even get them of the final project. It sure turned out yummy though!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Maria had her first sampling of raspberries. My sis was there and caught these shots of Maria and I (thanks bean!!):

Photobucket

Photobucket

They were yummy berries... I love summer and all the fresh fruit it brings!!

2 comments:

Tif said...

Jealous! I was in Pike's Place yesterday with Crystal and saw the raspberries there...and it took me back. Here they're maybe 1/2 inch long-at the most. Those suckers up there are HUGE and oh-so-good! And YAY for jam!!!

Kristen said...

Gotta love fresh raspberries!! What town are you guys going to be in? We are in Gilbert (Phoenix area) and I'll be home next Sunday or Monday. Not exactly sure yet. Let me know what your schedule is like because I would LOVE to see you!!!!!!