Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Butter


I made butter yesterday.  I feel so accomplished.  You can not buy butter here.  What they call mantequilla which translates to butter is more like a watered down sour cream that’s not really sour.  They have margarine; which is something that I never want to use, it can sit out on the shelf and not melt, so whatever is in there scares me.  They also have oil and lard. 

I got some of their mantequilla and poured it into a bowl, got out my hand mixer and started whipping.  In a couple of minutes I had some lovely butter.  Today I mixed some butter with some local honey, made up some bread dough and “fried” it on the griddle and we had some lovely bread and honey butter for lunch.  Marco’s family hadn’t ever had anything like it and thought it was “bien rico”.

2 comments:

Nana & Grandpa Toyk said...

Bein Rico???

Tif said...

That sounds delicious! Honey butter and fry bread...yum!