Thursday, December 9, 2010

Food differences


The milk here is sold in either a liter plastic bag or a half liter cardboard bag.  The cardboard one does not have to be refrigerated.  There is only one type of milk here.  There is no skim, 1%, 2%, whole, almond, soy, hemp, etc.  I think it might be something along the lines of 2%, but I’m not sure.  It tastes different…. Like vanilla milk, but there’s no funky added ingredients. 

I ate an orange that tasted like it was a cross between a mandarin and a grapefruit, it was delicious except for the fruit casing which had a strong bitter taste.

I ate a whole fish… I didn’t know where to start.  It was delicious, but I couldn’t bring myself to eat the eyes or the liver looking substance that was near it’s head.

Food items that I have not been able to find: butter, cheese, brown sugar, white sugar, canned tomato products (except ketchup), cream, bulk popcorn, jarred spices, cereal (except corn flakes and fruit loops), graham crackers, caro syrup, pretzels (except in chip mixes).

Found an American style grocery store with aisles.  It has three.

Cooking.  We cook on an electric griddle.  I have made eggs, pancakes, beans, tortillas, oatmeal, bread, soup, chicken, & rice.  It is possible to boil water in a pot on the griddle.  My mother-in-law has let us borrow a countertop oven.  The only thing I have tried making so far in there is cookies, and I didn’t have all the right ingredients so they were pretty bad.   One of the not-so-cool things about cooking with an electric griddle is the fact that I can’t always rely on the electricity.  They ration it, but don’t let you know when it will be turned off.  One morning it unexpectedly turned off when we were cooking our oatmeal so we had to go over to Abuela’s to finish cooking it.  She uses a wood “stove”. (I'll get pictures and post them soon)

No comments: