Tuesday, December 14, 2010


Fred.

That’s what I call him in my head…. But I refuse to actually say the name out loud because I don’t know what his fate will be.  Will he be the turkey that gets the Christmas Pardon, or will he be dinner. 

About a week ago a lady came by the house carrying this bird asking if we wanted to buy it.  Normally it’s banana’s or oranges.  I have seen a couple of chickens, but this was the first turkey.  She wanted me to hold it to see that it was heavy and that it would make a good meal.  I let Marco hold it.  I have to admit, I am a little scared of a bird that size. 

We ended up buying it, and she said that she had females too if we happen to want to have little baby turkey’s running around.  I know nothing of turkeys, so I’m leaving that one up to Marco.

Now Fred lives in the backyard.  He’s got a rope tied around his ancle which we (and when I say we, I most definitely am NOT including myself) tie to a tree during the day.  At night Marco moves him to a container so the dogs (which are let loose at night) will not bother the bird.

1 comment:

Tif said...

*tear* Your mom must be so proud of you to have a bird!

I totally think you guys should have baby turkeys! How much fun could the kids have chasing them around! hehehe...