Saturday, March 12, 2011

Green Mangos

Green Mangos are kind of a treat here in Honduras.
They are small unripe mangos that are eaten with spices.
We bought this bag of mangos at the market today for Lempiras.


This is how big they are, less than a quarter of the size of the ones we used to get at Costco.

First step is to wash... then peel.

Open your spice packet,  pour it on a plat (or in a bowl or cup), add some salt, then dip your mango in it and enjoy.  There is also a sauce that is a little spicy that Marco enjoys with his mangos

They taste like unripe mangos dipped in spices.
You can buy little baggies of pre-peeled and sliced mango's on the street or in the buses that come with spices and a vinegary sauce that makes the mango's taste a little bit like a pickle.

The first time I had them I wasn't so sure, but now I kind of like them.  I'm sure that if you give me another 4 months I'll end up craving them.


-Dance party song of the day.-
"You May Be Right" Billy Joel

2 comments:

Tif said...

So are the spices savory or sweet? That sounds kind of...interesting?

Meredith said...

Tif- They are savory. I'm not sure what they are Marco bought them and they come pre-ground in small unlabeled plastic bags.