Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Wet Earth

The smell of wet earth was almost suffocating this evening.
It hasn't rained for about a month, and as that water hit the dirt it gave of an unbelievable aroma.
It was totally and competely welcome.
Because the road in front of our house is dirt, and it is well traveled, there is a LOT of dust (polvo) floating around in the air.
Marco told me about the dust before we came here.  He was worried about how much there is.... I didn't believe him.  I thought he was making a big deal of nothing...  I guess that goes to show how much I know about dust. 
It is currently my worst enemy.
And not only because it forces me to clean my floors multiple times daily...
but because the kids are sick...
Maria is sick.
Cooper is sick.
They have inflamed, infected tonsils.... and what is the cause:
Dust.
Fevers. Coughing. Lots of Mucus.  All because of dust.
It gets into their throats and irritates the tonsils which then become inflamed, and then infected. 
Poor little kids.  Maria is getting hit harder than Cooper.
Cooper is starting to feel better. 
Maria is not.
She and I were up in the middle of the night coaxing her fever back down to below 100 degrees.

We went to the doctors today to get some more medicine.
It cost 15 Lempiras to see the doctor ( 79 cents )
and it cost 465 Lempiras for the medicine ( $24.64 )

Hopefully this will nip it in the bud.... otherwise Maria's got to get shots... and those are every two year olds favorite.


No pictures right now...  My computer is starting to fizzle out and I'm trying to make it last as LONG as possible.  So, we're starting to share Marco's computer, which I'm not too familiar with.... I'm hoping that it won't take too long to get into a good rythm.

5 comments:

Tif said...

Ack! That sounds awful, Meres! I can sure see why the rain would be overly welcome.

Can you justify having their tonsils removed while you're here in the states? Not sure how that would work since no doctors here have seen them with inflamed tonsils, but it seems like it'll just keep being a vicious throat infection circle otherwise!

Happy birthday late! I hope you had a good day. I picked up my phone to call you and then realized...I couldn't. But I sure thought of you! I can't wait to maybe see you when you're up here next month. Love and miss you!

Rach said...

oh man, ROUGH.
hopefully the rain calms it all down?

Thank you so much for posting, we think and talk about you daily always wondering what you guys are up to. we miss you and we pray for you!

hope your birthday was fun, we were the same as TIf...wanted to call then realized we couldnt. maybe next year we can call??:)

have a great day!

JoeKatie said...

I always thought it was weird when I was in Arizona for my mission that people would say "smells like rain" What a weird thing to say, don't you say "looks like rain" ? But you know, it is really different living somewhere other than the PNW where it rains all the time to live somewhere where it is not a daily occurance. You can smell it before it rains. And I hated the dust in AZ even here in UT it is pretty dusty indoors, I am sure that is in part due to 2 little boys who love the mud and dirt and don't listen very well.

I hope everything works out well for you.

Marianne said...

I hope those two little ones get feeling better! I can't believe how much they are both growing up!

Thanks for the updates...I love reading about all your adventures!

ps I was reminded about flossing toes the other day as my kids were trying to get the toe jam out of their toes!! Too funny!

Meredith said...

Tif - Things are much better today. The rain has really calmed things down. Thank Heavens!
I wish we could get their tonsils out. I don't have mine and I'm doing just fine... but we don't have insurance, and I don't think that we could afford it ourselves.
My birthday was pretty great... We went to Guatemala, I'll post on that later though. Coming down to visit you is definitely on my list of things to do while in WA!

Rach- Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. You guys are in ours too! It's pretty expensive for you guys to call Honduras. I'm definitely hoping that next year I'll be in a place thats at least 10 less expensive for you to call on my birthday!!

Katie- hahaha... I love that you said two little boys who love the dirt and mud and don't l isten very well. That cracks me up!!

Marianne- Ahh... toe flossing. I should totally bust out the socks and floss Marcos toes tonight... I just might pee my pants laughing!!!