Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Butterfly Art

This project was a little time consuming, but pretty easy. It was also really inexpensive for me because I already had the canvas.

Supplies:
card stock
poster board
exacto knife
canvas (optional)
spray paint
glue gun

Start by printing the butterfly image below off on card stock. My images came out to be around 6 inches wide. After you've got it printed off on card stock cut it out with an exacto knife.

Then trace this multiple times onto your poster board. I did white, but you can do any color you want. I traced and cut out twenty butterflies, Maria ended up ripping one to pieces so I ended up with nineteen. I had thought about doing multiple sizes, which I think would be very cute, but I was too lazy for that.

Then, if you are going to use canvas spray paint it the color of your choice. I bought the cheapest stuff from walmart. It was a whopping $1.12. I originally wanted it to be completely solid blue, but i like the effect of it not being solid, its more like clouds. Make sure to do this in a VERY well ventilated area... aka outside.

Once you've got your canvas painted, and your butterflies cut out you can get the hot glue gun out and get gluing. Bend the wings of the butterfly outward slightly and put a some glue on the body of the butterfly and stick to canvas (or directly to the wall if you so choose not to use canvas). I kind of wanted my to look like it was a group of butterflies flying up and away.

Photobucket

Photobucket

So, there you go. I know mine are not hanging straight... I'll fix it one of these days.

2 comments:

Tif said...

Awesome! I was surprised to see that the butterflies were cardstock-in the picture they look like a thin metal or something!

Anonymous said...

Too easy. Fabulous! Did you find the butterfly as a template somewhere or did you draw it?