Monday, June 29, 2009

The Red Book

I have this little red book.

Photobucket

Inside of it I have written down a bucket list of sorts. Every once in a while I will go through and update the list; adding new items and checking off things that I've done. I started the list when I was in college. Some things I came up on my own, others were inspired by friends or books I have read. Some things on the list are things that I can and want to do over and over again, but it also has a lot of things that I probably will never do, because I do try to be realistic, but it helps remind me of the more adventurous person that I once was. I encourage everyone to make their own little "bucket list"... and don't be afraid to put some "crazy" things on it.
It is a long list.... but it is by no means all-inclusive.

  • take off now for a spur of the moment vacation
  • design, build, and decorate my dream house
  • milk a cow
  • get a massage
  • achieve more than is expected of me, faster, more efficiently, & at less cost for greater impact
  • pass up the next chance to criticize
  • give my lover a thousand hershey kisses
  • adopt a baseball team of hard to place children
  • keep exotic tropical fish
  • read all the original nancy drew mysteries
  • drive through a dust storm in the desert
  • learn 3 jokes that get laughs every time
  • run through chicago's buckingham fountain
  • stop craving material things
  • spend a summer in a chalet high in the swiss alps
  • build my own furniture
  • explore a ghost town
  • work out for as much time as i spend eating
  • ride a fire engine
  • raise my IQ
  • drive I-80 from NY george washington bridge to the bay bridge in San Fran.
  • stand on the shore and roar back at the ocean as loud as i can
  • acknowledge my weaknesses
  • be a mentor
  • save a half-years salary
  • study philosophy
  • give money and muscle to habitat for humanity
  • live independently and magnanimously
  • visit a castle in spain
  • learn to repair my own car
  • earn an eagle scout badge
  • cruise the greek islands
  • lie on the ground in a grove of giant sequoias & look up
  • ride an elephant in india
  • skinny dip under a waterfall
  • dine in a five star restaurant in france
  • take my family on a backpacking trip through the grand tetons
  • stick to my convictions even in the face of hostile opposition
  • be a mother
  • travel the coast of the mediterranean
  • dig a pond on my property and stock it with fish
  • commit to something totally
  • spend five days focusing on each of my senses - one per day
  • move into a new house, but wait a month before bringing in furniture
  • improve my grammar
  • stick to an exercise regiment for the rest of my life
  • spend a day watchin the sun move across the sky
  • live in a villa on the italian riviera
  • see summer arrive in antarctica
  • explore west africa
  • visit every one of the national parks
  • overcome difficulties in a relationship
  • spend a stormy night in a lighthouse on a rocky coast
  • spend a summer and fall eating only what i've grown in my own garden
  • overcome my shyness
  • look good without makeup
  • travel with no destination
  • learn to meditate so i can center my mind & calm my spirit
  • taste raw sugarcane on a carribean island
  • snorkel australia's great barrier reef
  • go to london from paris via the chunnel
  • vacation on a pacific island that you can only get to by sailboat
  • have lunch in the restaurant atop seattle's space needle
  • visit the taj mahal, monument to love, with the person i love
  • nap in a field of wildflowers
  • escape to a cabin in the woods for amonth of rest and relazation
  • try sushi
  • learn italian
  • go white water rafting
  • invest in art
  • volunteer at a hospital
  • design a playground with a group of children
  • travel abroad for a year
  • learn the constellations
  • learn to listen & not just hear
  • take one long and two short vacations every year
  • donate my library to the library
  • learn to sail
  • send my mother-in-law flowers on my spouse's birthday
  • snuggle under a goosedown quilt in the middle of wither
  • read every book i own
  • see the northern lights
  • find an oasis in the desert
  • visit all 50 states
  • become a citizen of the world
  • grow my own herbs
  • make homemade icecream
  • make a difference in the life of someone i care about
  • dream consistently pleasant dreams
  • spend a vacation volunteering at a camp for kids with cancer
  • have no more cavities, ever
  • try to lower my expectations of others
  • walk behind a waterfall
  • learn how planes stay up
  • trun feelings of kindess into behavior
  • seek elegance rather than luxury
  • master my tennis serve
  • be sure i know everyone in my office
  • see a comet
  • save enough for a comfortable retirement
  • blow glass
  • cuddle with my lover on a midnight sleigh ride
  • go to a clambake
  • speak gently, act openly
  • volunteer to assist the red cross after a disaster
  • write a thank-you note to someone who influenced me
  • undertake a new challenge every month
  • learn to wakeboard
  • keep a photographic journal of a trip to europe
  • compose a song
  • learn to windsurf on an exotic island
  • raise some eyebrows
  • play the violin
  • do now what i keep saying i ought to do someday
  • learn to tune up my bicycle
  • watch the fountains at the bellagio all night
  • abandon my inhibitions
  • ride a train
  • leave everything behind for a while and spread my wings
  • watch a rainbow until it disappears
  • surpass my own expectations
  • plant a single seed, watch it germiate and grow
  • nap in a tree
  • find the quiet center within myself
  • record my dreams
  • ask questions with the innocence of a child
  • win a game of strip poker
  • be self-confident
  • throw a 50th wedding anniversary party for my parents
  • learn the language of my ancestors
  • beat the competition in my professional & personal life
  • live a year on the east coast
  • work for a cutting edge company
  • drive a snowplow
  • continue my education for the rest of my life
  • keep a notebook handy to cathc my thoughts before they get away
  • plant a tree for each of my children
  • watch the world go by from a sidewalk cafe
  • dare to ask outrageous questions
  • refurbish old houses and then sell them
  • live in a beach house with sand for a front yard
  • stay in bed all day Sunday
  • build a log cabin playhouse for my children
  • live in a house where I fall asleep to the sound of the waves crashing against the rocks
  • instill hope
  • ride double decker buses all over london
  • paint with watercolors
  • meditate in a zen garden
  • get caught in the rain
  • on a summers day take a nap in a hammock
  • take a bubble bath in the middle of the day
  • find my own philosophy of living
  • let myself fall in love totally and completely
  • pubish a good news only newspaper
  • live live with no regrets and lots of hope
  • give each person I love the thing they want most
  • change my worst personality trait
  • design a retirement community for my friends and family
  • donate everything to charity
  • adopt a child
  • design a corporate logo
  • ensure that my children have at least one great experience that i've had
  • find my work meaningful
  • change something in the world that makes life easier for my children
  • ban television for a year
  • develop film in my own darkroom
  • spend a day in the countryside with a sketchbook and pen
  • list 100 good things that have happened in my life
  • learn to do the samba
  • keep in mind that life is short and that dreams cannot be put off indefinitely
  • bike to work
  • create a great resume
  • live in a cabin with no electricity or indoor plumbing for 2 weeks
  • witness a miracle
  • refuse to compromise
  • teach english to a foreigner
  • broaden my perspective beyond the shores of the USA
  • become an american citizen
  • design a public place
  • buy land, design and build a park, donate it to the community
  • let someone fall in love with me
  • like what i see in the mirror
  • pick a topic and then study it in depth
  • visit each of the african countries
  • take a nap in tall grasses
  • plant a forest
  • burn candles in the bathroom
  • get soaked in a summer rain shower
  • stop thinking about work on vacation
  • see my grandchildren play with my old toys
  • take the road less traveled
  • simplify my life
  • have a summer bedroom with it's own porch
  • change what I can change and stop worrying about the rest
  • be surprised by a gift of diamonds
  • build a winterized hide-a-way above the garage
  • remain productive even after i retire
  • make my own soap
  • see the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier
  • have the ability to nap anywhere anytime
  • spend a week in london and go to the theatre every night
  • go white water rafting
  • see the world in a different light
  • go on an overnight canoe trip
  • see the beauty in everyone
  • graduate from college
  • complete a triathalon
  • create art
  • paint the sky
  • see a shooting star
  • vacation at the Outer Banks... explore from Corolla to Okracoke
  • see the good in everyone i meet
  • remember peoples names
  • eat a peach in georgia
  • eat an orange in florida
  • eat a pineapple in hawaii
  • eat an apple in washington
  • eat a potato in idaho
  • always live debt free
  • buy a house by my 25th birthday
  • go past the arctic circle near the summer solstice to see the sun circle the horizon
  • explore central america
  • take a train to vermont to go skiing
  • see "Wicked" in NYC
  • make a quilt for each woman in the family
  • play the piano
  • own my own buisness

No comments: